Sunday, January 10, 2010

Typeface Characters! (01)

So I ran across this interesting tutorial on Typeface Characters...
How to Create Typeface Characters
basically making characters using a particular font and it's symbols to create a character. This creates a uniformity between graphic and type but the goal is for the text pieces used not to be instantly recognizeable. Great for Logo work. Somehow I've never heard of this practice! So I thought I'd give it a shot as it seems like a good way to not only practice character design with set limitations but also a way to stress minimalism in the characters design. Mine's not nearly as cool as his (and yes I just copied his background) but I think it's not too shabby for a first try.... although I did stick to just "U"s and O"s and ":" and "M"s and "V"s and such... my next try I'll be a bit more adventurous. (Moderna is the name of the Font used)

2 comments:

  1. Really cool !
    I think you've done an amazing job :)

    I am Julián (Typefaces) and i would love that you check out my flickr in order to see other Type creatures.

    www.flickr.com/typefaces

    Thanks for the cool words.
    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the cool tutorial... definitely going to create some more... great character design practice... thinking of shapes more than lines!

    Love the type creatures!

    Chris

    ReplyDelete